by Renae Virata | Summer is officially here, people! And if you haven’t yet decided on where you are going to go or how you are going to spend it, at least have a summer beauty routine in mind. I visited with Spa Nordstrom in Houston to get tips from their beauty and skin care experts on how to make sure you’re prepared for the heat, humidity and summer elements.
The stress and heat from the day seemed to melt away as I toured the extremely zen (and deliciously fragrant) spa with its welcoming director Robert Alvarez. In fact, the first thing that the Spa Nordstrom team does to ensure you are relaxed is a complementary foot soak prior to your services. Located on the second floor, right off the parking garage entrance, this oasis in the middle of the Galleria mall is easy to miss but shouldn’t be!
One of only 14 Spa Nordstroms in the entire country, it houses only two luxurious massage rooms (complete with showers!), three facial/treatment rooms, three manicure stations and two pedicure chairs but offers a selection of products and services that will prepare you for summer.
Recommended Summer Beauty Services
- Summer skin can definitely use a lift from time to time, so try an oxygen facial infusion treatment using Intraceuticals. Many A-list celebs such as Madonna rely on any one of the different treatments (rejuvenate, brighten, firm/plump, and clear) to battle against the elements of the urban environment.
- Before you step into those sandals, make sure your feet look their best! Any pedicure includes a treatment against dry, scaly skin using Gehwol, used by top spas in Europe. You can also continue the treatment at home by purchasing the products as Robert’s friend had. His rough, cracked feet were renewed in just five days of treatment!
- We’ve all seen what damage the sun can do over time, but we still want that darned summer glow. Airbrushing is the answer! If you’ve never tried it or are afraid of looking like an oompa-loompa, fear no more. Robert’s team uses St. Tropez (the same kind they use on Dancing with the Stars!), which offers a range of tones that actually meld with your skin tone to give you your best tan.
- Dontcha just hate when you get a perfect mani-pedi, only to watch it fade to nasty chips and breakage days after? Avoid it all with Shellac! Choose from a selection of delicious colors or bring your own and have it glazed with a Shellac topcoat.
- Wouldn’t it be great to wake up and not feel as if you HAD to put on mascara? During the summer, you shouldn’t have to with all the sweat and water you have to deal with. Spa Nordstrom offers eight lash services to suit your taste and needs to keep your lashes looking lush and lovely. Or do as Robert had and use Revitalash, sold at the Spa, to grow your own beautiful lashes in just three short months (and it’s just $98!).
Recommended Beauty Summer Products
- Moroccanoil travel-sized products to nourish your skin and hair during your trip.
- Clarisonic sonic skin cleansing system features rotating bristles and accompanying products depending on your skin needs to thoroughly cleanse your skin of dead cells, impurities, and makeup – six times more makeup and two times more dirt than just using your hands!
- Baby Quasar hand-held light therapy, developed by NASA, will help your stimulate blood flow and circulation to help your skin heal where it’s needed. It can give you a natural glow; relieve some pain in muscles, skin, and joints; and relax your muscles. It’s like packing a tiny spa in your carry-on! (Look for the Quasar MD, the bigger, quicker version, coming soon!)
Before You Spa
- Make sure you turn your cell phones off or hit ‘silent’. You’re there to relax!
- Make it a spa day for your wedding party or besties for a birthday/bachelorette celebration.
- Book airbrush tanning 4-5 days in advance of an important event.
**Register for a chance to win a Moroccanoil bag filled with more than $350 worth of products!**
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 | Thalgo Event | You can’t get more summer-focused than this! This skincare company is focused on making a fantastic line of skin care products that harness the power of the sea’s natural ingredients found in algae, for example. Take advantage of $25-Thalgo facials. Find the formula that works for you and apply your facial as credit towards any Thalgo purchase. Space is limited, so reserve your spot!
And if you want to grab some style inspiration while you’re in Houston…
…look no further than the eclectic and colorful Montrose area just a few short miles down Westheimer Road from Nordstrom. A stroll down the street on any given day reveals a parade of one-of-a-kind style that is characteristic of this part of town. It’s the perfect place to come as you are or to experiment a bit with your look. I caught some stylish divas making the sidewalks their runway as they grabbed coffee, made fun discoveries at the strips of antique shops and braved the heat at any number of delicious eateries.
Check out these Montrose-inspired looks from Nordstrom that you can find online right now! Just click on each item or on the links below for more details and to shop the looks.
Boho Beautiful | Keeping cool is a priority – and so is looking cool! Accomplish both with this ethnic print dress in bright summer colors, a single-strand long necklace, bright-colored thong sandals, and (for that true Montrose boho look) a fabulous leather cross body bag to carry your essentials (water, sunscreen, wallet for shopping!). Perfect to wear for a cup of Joe or glass of wine at Agora or hanging out Rosenkavalier Antiques.
Flight of Fancy | A little element of noir and art bodes well in Montrose. Brighten up this bird-silhouette top with a pair of cool-mint denim capris (they come in other colors!). An appreciation for vintage looks goes a long way, too, so add accessories that harken back to super stylish times and that add texture, like this fabulous clutch (that can also be used to add fun to a formal outfit). Black and brown are definitely not a problem to mix up in Houston. A pair of brown wedges plays into the brown in the bag.
Pretty and Free | Nothing keeps you cooler like a simple tank and flowy skirt. Gray is a favorite neutral to give a pretty coral skirt like this a little more casual edge. White statement jewelry pops and adds a little glam while printed flats are easy to walk in and add the exclamation point on an outfit! A leather satchel in another bright color also captured in the shoe looks not too purposely put together.
Caslon® Ribbed Tank, $20 (tons of bright summer colors!); Halogen® Pleated Jersey Skirt, $33.90; Simon Sebbag Long White Quartz Necklace, $322; TOMS ‘Gabriella’ Flat, $78.95; Melie Bianco ‘Louisa’ Shoulder Bag.