by Renae Virata
Since my trips to Thailand and India will be fast-paced and limited on proper beauty prep areas (I’m not bringing a hairdryer, products and must share two bathrooms with 7 other gals!), I decided to take some beauty shortcuts to make my trip a little easier. Two weeks ago I did the keratin smoothing treatment and tomorrow, I am getting gel nails!The decision to do the keratin treatment was an easy one. Living in (literally) the humidity of Houston for years has frustrated me to no end when it comes to my hair. The keratin treatment is a natural solution to fight the frizzies and cut down on styling time against the similar humidity I will encounter in Thailand and India. So why are keratin treatments so great?
- My hair won’t poof into its poor excuse for, what I would dub, “a wild, tropical look.”
- Each strand is thicker and stronger – less breakage and fights my natural wave.
- I’ve found that my hair dries in a snap; I cut my hair drying time to half. Who doesn’t love that?!
- Now, when I style my hair, it will do what I tell it to, including my new bangs. The treatment is like military school for hair.
- It feels soft and styled without having done anything.
Now, there are things to note. Not everyone’s results, as I found out, are the same. My hair is very wavy, naturally, so it is not the stick-straight style that I expected it to be after I wash it. But a quick flat iron or blow dry works perfectly and quickly. The treatment, my stylist shared with me, works the best for more porous and chemically-treated hair. The keratin, which is the protein that your hair is composed of, fills in and adheres to each strand more strongly. You must use specially formulated shampoo and conditioner that your stylist can provide. Plus, the more you wash it, the shorter it will stay.